Thursday, June 18, 2009

Momma Said
by Vicki Rogers (My momma)

Harmony.

I’ve just returned from the movies where I got my Trekkie fix. I love Star Trek! This particular film is great and made me think about my article for this month because I am in Harmony!
Let’s stop for a moment (before we begin). “Harmony”--- what an interesting word in our English language. Language has always fascinated me as language is a culture’s galaxy. The choice of one word over another guides our trajectory as we fly through our cultural cosmos. … … simply … fascinating.

Ok. To achieve Harmony at least two things have to come together as a cohesive unit. A duet or chorus, as it were. Things that once joined, seem like they had never been separate. Like peanut butter and jelly, movies and surround sound, and showers and shampoo:

~It’s great to have a harmonious PB & J sandwich, thus not causing gas to the consumer.

~It’s marvelous when, even though I waited in a long line at the box office, I stimulated the economy and got my “Trek” on with fabulous surround sound.

~It’s fantastic how showers and shampoos can make the world of difference in bringing harmony into a household. Yes, my guy just returned from the dreaded hygiene-forsaken annual fishing trip, or the week long “ManFest” as I like to call it. It’s a week of rollin’ with the guys, void of water unless they are pulling a fish out of it. However in search of a harmonious reunion, my guy stripped at the door and headed for the bathroom after a quick pat on the back and peck on the cheek. No screaming required and I really enjoyed that!

Do not mistake harmony for a lateral word. This word is a metaphor for growth within any relationship. It not only suggests success but achieves it. Harmony’s mobility is upward and it implies or requires cooperation which is, itself a positive action…just like going to see Star Trek!

No comments: