Friday, August 15, 2008

Editor’s Edict:

Hello, my lovely readers! It has been a while, no? My boyfriend likes to remind me of the teachings of The Secret and to “Be in an attitude of gratitude…!” I am a fairly positive thinker, yet, sometimes I struggle with this Polly-Anna push and working on the Brown Betties Gazette is not immune to my feelings of not-so-attitudy-in-gratitudy. I get upset that I can’t keep up with my self-developed publishing schedule and as a result, feel negative about my accomplishments, when I should be thrilled.

I started this Gazette one year ago because I love writing, I love celebrating the accomplishments of other women, and I love my show, “Harlem’s Night Cabaret” performed by the Brown Betties. Funny, and here is how The Secret works, because as I write, I now feel a warm glow of attitude of gratitude spreading in my heart-n-soul like yummy honey because I do have joy and I know I’m lucky to be able to do what I love. SO, I (we) will CELEBRATE this new issue! Who has time to read in May, June or July anyway? :) We’re human; life happens; I’m busy; you’re busy…so there you have it. I’m happy to present the August issue of the Brown Betties Gazette and I’m thrilled you’re reading it!

This issue inadvertently became themed around family. My friend and actor LeShay Tomlinson Boyce became married and inherited more than just a husband in the union. Her perspective on juggling family and still striving to reach her dreams and goals made her the August Brown Bettie! In “Two Sides to Every Love Story”, Sidney Gaskins reveals the love she found in adopting her son. On a side note, take a moment to peek at my sister-in-law's new blog, “I am Brown Girl Speaks”…she offers stuff on family livin'. My niece is pictured there too and she’s lovely! To fuel your joy, we offer Tene’ Carter’s beautiful poem for the “In My Solitude” feature section and we introduce “The New Haiku” section which will highlight Tanya Alexander’s original Haikus; be sure to treat your ears and soul to her newly dropped spoken word album, “Pieces of Tanya”. It’s the hotness…and I’m not just saying that because she is the fabulous director of our Cabaret.

Lastly, I could only shake my head as I first gasped, then giggled, and began to nod in strange agreement when I read my mom’s submission for her “Momma Said” feature on her proposed unconventional use of prunes …I imagine you’ll have a similar reaction. When you recover, there’s more of the fiction installments of "Harlem's Awakening"...the back story to Harlem & Joe of “Harlem’s Night Cabaret” for you to consume. As always, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! And don’t forget to visit www.brownbetties.com for more on Brown Betties of Harlem’s Night Cabaret! If you have any comments, feel free to hit me up at brownbettiesgazette@yahoo.com

xo
The Hot One

No comments: