Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Editor’s Edict

Have you ever given advice and then realized you didn’t take the very advice you doled out? I’m guilty of that! The other night I was complaining to friends that I was upset the Cabaret wasn’t further along and that I was a bad business woman because I still need funding and blah blah. Now, by telling my friends I needed help, I was able to receive help, but I’m not particularly happy with how the request poured out of my mouth. I was not coming from a place a joy – i.e. I wasn’t rejoicing in how well I’ve done these past three years with the Cabaret…I wasn’t looking at the positive side in what I HAVE, I was looking at what I DON’T HAVE. I forgot to rejoice. So now, I’m gonna take a moment to do just that. I’m at a café (my “office”) working on the Gazette and RUN DMC and Aerosmith’s song, “Walk This Way” is playing…please hold while I dance in the aisles for a moment of rejoicing....! (OK, I’m back. I was too chicken. I got up and strutted to the bathroom to the beat of the song and pretended to dance. Close enough.)

I encourage you to find your own way of rejoicing this month (and beyond). Feel free to start by enjoying this month's Gazette! You'll find all the great stuff, per usual. Our Brown Bettie is LeShay Tomlinson Boyce (a revival in honor of her 1-yr anniversary of marriage); our Bad Boy is funny man, Rodney Perry. Tanya Alexander-Henderson keeps us fluid with her poetry, "My Life, My Way"; our tax advisor, Baadja-Lyne Ouba offers more tips for Home Owners in "Unzipped". My dad tells you throw a party to find work in "Father Knows Best" while my mom reminisces about some fluffy Easter Chicks in "Momma Said". For the Bettie in you, don't forget to check out Tip #3 on how to keep looking for love in all the wrong places in "Brown Bettie Knows Best", and peruse some lovely lingerie in the "Love, Hate, Want, Need" article. Keena Ferguson offers her last installment on her trip to see President Obama in “Brown Bettie Beautifully” and Cecilie Davis Carter tells you look at the bright side "In My Solitude". And if you're feelin' down, take advice from Sidney Gaskin in "Enterprising Bettie". (I did!) After all that, sit back and chill with the tenth fiction installment of "Harlem's Awakening".

Happy April my friends!
xo
The Hot One
peppur@brownbetties.com

No comments: